I stumbled upon this set of cookie cutters in the Target Dollar Spot…I was immediately thrilled to recreate a post that I often see on TikTok and Instagram Reels with The Smiling Hippo watercolors!
What you will need:
-A Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
-TheSmilingHippo Watercolor Paints (any color you fancy)
-Paintbrushes (I found the thicker/wider the better for this craft)
-An evenly folded (Hamburger Style) piece of Watercolor Paper
-A cup of clean water
OUTLINED CARD STYLE
How to do it:
- For my first variation, I painted JUST the rim of the cookie cutter! I wanted both an “outline look”, as well as something a tad different than all the other posts I had seen! This took some practice, but I inevitably just went with the flow for some of the cards that I made!
- I then used the cookie cutter as a stamp, and pressed firmly on the cookie cutter onto the paper, in some instances I tapped it to make sure the paint went onto the card.
- Overall, those are the two steps I repeated on the card! BUT…for added “fanciness”, I wanted to give my cards a “splattered” look, especially because the glitter and metallic colors from TheSmilingHippo allowed me to add some sparkle to the card.
- I wrote “Happy Valentines Day” on the cards at the very end with a Sharpie marker, but do whatever feels like YOU!
FILLED IN CARD STYLE
How to do it:
- Once again, I outlined the edge of the Target cookie cutter with TheSmilingHippowater colors, this time I used the new Honey Base in purple color!
- Press the cookie cutter onto the paper, hold it firmly and feel free to apply firm tapping to the cookie cutter to make sure the paint is on the paper.
- Using the natural outline of the cookie cutter shape put onto the paper, I used extra paint to fill in the inside of the heart.
- I layered the gold color from my Flower Pallet on top of the first heart using the first three steps.
- Layer to your HEART's content (haha, get it?)